Today, Tripadvisor, the world’s leading travel platform, revealed the Best of the Best Beaches, the second of its annual Travelers’ Choice® Awards for 2022.
The company’s announcement follows its list of the Hottest Destinations for 2022 in January and reveals the beaches around the world that travelers feel are making an impact.
Tripadvisor is sharing a dose of sunshine with its highly anticipated annual ranking. And it’s just in time for travel specialists to guide travelers to the perfect 2022 holiday. The honors also include an intriguing cooperation with Cutwater Spirits in the United States.
Many sunbathers go on vacation for the sole purpose of visiting the beach. Indeed, we associate leisure and relaxation with sitting by the ocean with our feet in the sand.
According to a recent survey sponsored by Tripadvisor, 37 per cent of American travelers plan to visit the beach in 2022. So if you’re one of the many people seeking a relaxing vacation, take a look at these award-winning beaches and get advice from other visitors on the best ways to enjoy them.
And if you are a resort or hotel (or service provider) based on or nearby one of these fantastic beaches, then it’s time to promote your proximity to customers searching for these destinations.
“We know a perfect day at the beach looks different from one person to the next. Some love classic soft white sand and sunbathing, while others love exploring rocky coves. This list has something for everyone because it was determined by the millions of different travelers all over the world reviewing their favorite beaches on Tripadvisor throughout 2021. Although last year was still far from ‘normal,’ these are the beaches travelers visited and loved more than any others,” said Christine Maguire, VP, Global Media Business at Tripadvisor.
“Whether you’re looking for a trip where you can continue to social distance outdoors or are comfortable heading to spring break, beaches are the perfect place to be in 2022, and the Travelers’ Choice Awards can guide you to the best ones for you.”
The winners are…
Vacationers voted Grace Bay Beach in Turks and Caicos the best beach on the planet this year. Travelers are gushing about the white beach and crystal-clear water at this quintessential Caribbean paradise, which has received over 7,200 reviews (90 per cent of which are 5-bubble). If you want to take your Grace Bay excursion to the next level, book a 4-Hour Group Catamaran Sail and Snorkel Tour or a Parasailing Adventure from Providenciales.
Travelers in the United States have chosen a new winner for 2022: Hawaii’s Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area. According to visitors, Hapuna Beach on Hawaii’s Big Island provides ideal waves for surfing, boogie boarding, and body surfing. Despite having several Travelers’ Choice Beach winners year after year, Hawaii has not had the country’s No. 1 beach since 2014. After eight years of losing to Florida, the Aloha State is now back on top.
Top 10 Beaches in the US for 2022
- Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area – Puako, Hawaii
- Traveler tip: “It is remarkably challenging to find large, white sandy beaches on the Big Island with water that is peaceful enough for swimming, and this one ticks all the boxes. Even better, right in the middle of the beach and close to shore, there is a small set of rocks that provided some of the best snorkeling we saw on the island! The water was crystal clear and the brightly colored tropical fish plentiful.” – @Erika H
- Siesta Beach – Siesta Key, Florida
- Traveler tip: “Absolutely beautiful beach with silky quartz sand! Great beach for people watching, sunsets, breakfast/morning walk on the beach and finding sand dollars.” – @Nik
- Poipu Beach Park – Poipu, Hawaii
- Traveler tip: “I highly recommend going at sunset and you will see the sea turtles come onto the beach. It is very magical and something you will not be able to experience other places.” – @CourtneyandScott
- Moonstone Beach – Cambria, California
- Traveler tip: “Moonstone Beach is a lovely place to walk, unwind and meet friendly dogs. Look for the bench that is partially hidden by the tree.” – @Janet M
- Kailua Beach Park – Kailua, Hawaii
- Traveler tip: “The water at Kailua was the most beautiful shade of turquoise and almost blinding. There were numerous kite surfers, which only added to the beauty of the beach. There is also a very cute mom-and-pop grocery store behind the beach (Kalapawai Market) that makes delicious made-to-order sandwiches—perfect for the beach.” – @cbattsolutions
- Driftwood Beach – Jekyll Island, Georgia
- Traveler tip: “I’ve been to many beaches, but none like this one. A great visual sight awaits you when you visit…Go at the ‘golden hour’ to get some great photos, or just hang out for the day and have a picnic.” – @roadpeops
- Ruby Beach – Olympic National Park, Washington
- Traveler tip: “It’s a delightful spot that is well worth your time. Be sure to bring a sweatshirt or light jacket as Pacific Coast beaches can feel chilly on a windy day. The rock formations here are just gorgeous – if you’re lucky to arrive on a sunny afternoon, try to visit the beach as the sun is descending! If you have very young children, they can wade in the shallow tide pools which are a safe distance away from the surf.” – @Gilber20
- Cannon Beach – Cannon Beach, Oregon
- Traveler tip: “Cannon Beach is very big. A beach for people who like to walk. The large sea stacks are great for photographers. Muggy mornings and lots of fog. Great shops to walk through. Parking can be terrible at times…Tip, get there early in the morning.” – @Louis R
- La Jolla Cove – La Jolla, California
- Traveler tip: “We just loved the place. If you are an animal lover it is a must. We spent hours watching the seals and sea lions and their frolicking around. You can get to them quite close.” – @Jadranka P
- Ho’okipa Beach Park – Paia, Hawaii
- Traveler tip: “If you love huge, beautiful sea turtles, or if you’ve never seen one, DO NOT MISS this opportunity. Not far from the world-famous Mama’s Fish House, this beach is known as a “resting spot” for sea turtles, who come ashore to rest & sunbathe.” – @Gwen H
Top 10 Beaches in the World for 2022
- Grace Bay Beach – Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
- Varadero Beach – Varadero, Cuba
- Turquoise Bay – Exmouth, Australia
- Quarta Praia – Morro de Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Eagle Beach – Palm – Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Radhanagar Beach – Havelock Island, India
- Baia do Sancho – Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Trunk Bay Beach – Virgin Islands National Park, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Baía dos Golfinhos – Praia da Pipa, Brazil
- Spiaggia dei Conigli – Lampedusa, Italy
TripAdvisor partners with Cutwater Spirits
The Travelers’ Choice Awards for Beaches partnered with Cutwater Spirits, the most awarded canned cocktail brand in the United States. The “Ready When You Are – Adventure Sweepstakes” campaign urges consumers to return and do what they love.
Inspired by the 2022 Traveler’s Choice award-winning beaches, Tripadvisor and Cutwater have collaborated to create this engaging co-branded activation that will include:
- A giveaway sampling boxes to 100 lucky consumers and
- Co-branded sweepstakes where one lucky winner will win the ultimate getaway.
“We’re thrilled to partner with Cutwater Spirits this year, connecting our award-winning beaches with Cutwater’s award-winning cocktails,” said Maguire. “From Hawaii to Florida to Oregon, we are ready to celebrate our favorite beaches by kicking back with Cutwater’s bar-quality cocktails in a can.”
One hundred lucky winners will receive one of three sampling boxes. Each is themed around a Travelers’ Choice award-winning beach and loaded with Tripadvisor and Cutwater co-branded materials, including a canned cocktail:
The Poipu Beach Rest & Relaxation Box includes everything you need to enjoy a relaxing day in Hawaii’s calm waters. Take a stroll along the beach to witness turtles and other sea life living in the clear waters.
The Cannon Beach Adventure Box equips beachgoers with all the tools they need to enjoy a more active day on the sand and waves. Miles of beach blanketed in fog with picturesque sea stacks make a perfect setting for strolling along the seaside and watching diverse wildlife in its natural habitat.
The St. Pete Beach Party Box is ideal for sun-seekers who want to have a good time. St. Pete Beach’s beautiful shoreline and clear waters attract visitors from all over the world yearly. There is plenty of space for both families with children and groups of friends looking for fun in the sun.
In addition, Tripadvisor will conduct a “Ready When You Are – Adventure Sweepstakes”. This will give one lucky winner (and a friend) a spectacular U.S. getaway to one of the Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best Beaches — the perfect way for our winners to recharge and cut out with Cutwater.
The Visitors’ Choice Best of the Best Awards rewards travelers’ favourite beaches worldwide. This is based on the quality and quantity of beach reviews and ratings collected during a 12-month period from January 1, 2021, to December 31, 2021, on Tripadvisor.