Maximise response to comments on your YouTube Channel with Shorts.
Many owners of YouTube channels fail to either acknowledge or respond to comments received from viewers of their channel videos. And those who embrace this excellent form of engagement usually respond with text-based messages.
However, YouTube has now launched the ability to respond using a YouTube Short video. John Heffernan from Red Live Media, an IHS Provider, explains what YouTube Shorts are, how to create them and how you can use them as part of your marketing strategy.
What are YouTube Shorts
YouTube Shorts provide an option to edit existing content or create a new video where users can shoot, share and view vertical short-form video content that is 60 seconds or less.
These videos are designed to be mobile-friendly, and shorts are therefore filmed as vertical micro-videos.
Replying to a comment with new YouTube Shorts
- Open the smartphone YouTube App and select the + sign at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Create a Short (You may need to allow access to your camera).
- Tap the Red Button to start recording (Tap NOT hold).
- Shorts are automatically set to record for 15 seconds; use the top-right 15 option to increase the timeline to 60 seconds.
- You can stop and start the Short to create segments but only within the 60 seconds limit.
YouTube Shorts editing options
- FLIP to change between Front and Back camera
- Effects – choose editing options from the menu
- Speed – select the optimal speed for your content from 0.3x, 0.5x, 1x, 2x and 3x
- Timer – when using a tripod, for example
- Green screen – to change the background image via your own image gallery
- Re-touch – to automatically set your video
- Filters – change colour overlay
- Lighting and flash – to adjust the light view and turn on or off the flash
- Countdown timer – You can preset the Video Short length.
- Select the text button to add more context to your video.
- Select the colour options at the bottom of the screen and tap the font option at the top of the screen.
- Select the “A” button to add or remove a background from your text.
- Tap done when text is added.
- To add more, tap the text button again and repeat the above.
- Drag and drop the text to place it on the screen and adjust the size where necessary.
Once you’re happy with your video, select the white check in the bottom right corner of the screen. You can preview your video and add music, voiceover, text overlays and more.
Then tap Next in the top right corner of your screen.
Create a caption for your video (maximum 100 characters), set the visibility, select an audience, and then tap Upload Short.
How to display one single line of text on the screen at a time
- Tap the timeline button to change when each text line displays.
- Use the sliders to adjust the timing for each line.
- Drag and drop the lines to indicate which version displays on top.
- Select the filters option to scroll and select one of the preset Shorts filters.
- Use YouTube’s narration feature to add more audio context.
- Tap to record a voiceover at any point in your video to improve your content engagement.
- Select next (top right corner)
- Add a title – remember to make it enticing)
- Confirm visibility and audience settings.
- Upload Short and publish on your channel.
YouTube Shorts suggestions
- Answer questions and provide more information
- Ask for requests for new future video content
- Respond to common questions, topics, feedback, FAQs/reviews
- Identify frequent comments and users (tag and mention those who regularly engage).
- Pin ONE comment to your response.
- Title and @ mention commenters (including text-based responses and in the video description).
- Create how-to/product or industry tips short videos
- Add a relevant brand, product or fun facts story
- Create an experiment
- Use trending topics in the news/music/discussions
- Educate, inform and engage!
- Add relevant hashtags but not too many!
Add an info card to your videos
Info cards allow you to create links between long-form videos. At the time of writing, YouTube does not display info cards on content in the Shorts feed.
- Go to YouTube Studio
- Open the content tab
- Select video
- Open the editor and select info cards
- Via the drop-down menu, select video
- Open the editor tab
- Select info cards
- From the drop-down menu, select video
- Select the Short you want to link in the info card.
- You can add text and a custom message up to 30 characters
- Add the time for the info card to appear.
- Save and publish.
Add the time you want the info card to appear in the video.
How to create YouTube Shorts with an existing video
To utilize a Short to respond to a comment:
- Simply open one of your channel videos on the YouTube app. (Note: Go to the library tab and select your videos).
- Select the video with a comment, then tap the comment icon to view the message.
- To create a YouTube Short response, tap the comment icon under the comment.
- Once the reply pop-up automatically opens, tap the Shorts icon to the right of the text edit.
- A comment sticker will automatically be added to the short and displayed on the screen throughout the video.
- There is a timing button in the top right corner
- Start to create your video.
- You can use the ADD button in the bottom left corner for a pre-prepared video.
- Use the slider option to edit the timing
- Tap DONE
If you’d like to find out more about YouTube Shorts and video marketing in general, give the team at IHS a call today or send your questions directly to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have any industry news that you’d like to share? Send us your press releases, survey results, news, and articles, and we will publish them here on the IHS website. Just complete the contact form and get in touch.