Google has confirmed a major change to websites that are associated with its Google Business Profiles (GBP) service – Google Business Profile Websites to close starting in March 2024.
The confirmed statement from Google:
- Google will start turning off Google Business Profile Websites in March 2024.
- Owners of these sites are being warned to make alternative website arrangements to avoid any business disruption.
- Those GBP users who operate Google Ad campaigns and have third-party domains are being advised to ‘redirect’ their users to an alternative website domain.
- If an alternative domain is not in place by the time of closure, customers visiting your site will be redirected to your Google Business Profile.
- From June 2024, these redirects will return a “page not found” error message.
- These changes will not impact your GBP.
Action to take now:
Google recommends updating your Google Business Profile to point to a new website domain.
If you do not have your website created via a Google Business Profile, this update will have NO impact on your business. Google has also reported that any GBP profiles created to run Google Ad campaigns must update ad listings to a new one before March 1.
You can, of course, choose to suspend your ad campaigns if in any doubt.
As a reminder, your Google Business Profile is a great place to:
- Showcase your business
- Share important information, updates, and links to other social platforms
- Use photos to attract customers
- Let customers know how to contact you through messages or by adding your phone number.
Do you need to set up a Google Business Profile? Are you impacted by this decision and require a new website?
Contact the IHS Marketing team, who will be happy to assist.
Do you have any industry knowledge, experience, or news you’d like to share? Why not send us your press releases, survey results, news, and articles? We will review them and may publish them on the IHS website Just complete the contact form and get in touch.