Content marketing can be an effective way for hotels and resorts to attract and retain customers and build their brand and reputation. Here are a few proven tactics for hotel and resort content marketing success in 2023.
1 Create high-quality, engaging content
This could include blog posts, social media updates, videos, photos, and other content types that provide value to your audience.
- Focus on the customer: When creating content, consider your audience’s wants and needs. What kind of information would be most valuable to them? How can you make their experience at your hotel or resort better?
- Make it visually appealing: Use high-quality photos and videos to showcase your hotel or resort and to give potential guests a sense of what they can expect when they visit.
- Keep it informative: Provide helpful information to help guests plan their stays, such as details on local attractions, restaurant recommendations, and travel tips.
- Use storytelling to engage your audience: Share stories about your hotel, resort, staff, or guests to create a more personal connection with your audience.
- Use various formats: Experiment with different formats, such as blog posts, social media updates, videos, and infographics, to keep your content exciting and engaging.
- Use calls to action: Encourage your audience to take a specific action, such as booking a stay at your hotel or resort, by including calls to action in your content.
- Edit and proofread carefully: Make sure your content is error-free and easy to read, as this will help improve the overall quality and credibility of your content.
2 Optimize your content for search engines
Use relevant keywords and phrases to help it rank higher in search results and make it easier for potential customers to find your hotel or resort online.
- Use relevant keywords: Choose keywords and phrases relevant to your hotel or resort that potential guests are likely to use when searching for a place to stay.
- Use long-tail keywords: In addition to general keywords, consider using long-tail keywords, which are more specific and less competitive, to help your content rank higher in search results.
- Use headings and subheadings: Use headings and subheadings to break up your content and make it easier to read, and highlight the most critical points. This can also help search engines understand the main topics of your content.
- Use alt tags on images: Include alt tags on photos to describe the image and its content, as this can help search engines understand what the image is about and improve the chances of it ranking in image search results.
- Use internal and external links: Linking to other relevant pages on your website, as well as to credible external sources, can help improve the credibility and authority of your content and help search engines understand the context of your content.
- Use meta descriptions: Use meta descriptions to summarize the main points of your content and to entice users to click through to your website.
- Use descriptive and keyword-rich URLs that clearly describe the content on the page and include relevant keywords, as this can help search engines understand the scope and improve its chances of ranking.
3 Use social media to promote your content
Share your content on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to reach a wider audience and drive traffic to your website.
The best social media platform for promoting content to hotel guests will depend on your target audience and the content you are promoting. Here are a few things to consider:
- Instagram: Instagram is a visual platform that is particularly well-suited for promoting hotels and resorts, as it allows you to share high-quality photos and videos of your property and the local area and attractions.
- Facebook: Facebook is a popular platform used by many demographics, making it a good option for promoting content to hotel guests. You can share updates, photos, and videos and use the platform to engage with your audience.
- Twitter: Twitter is a fast-paced platform well-suited for promoting timely content, such as last-minute deals or special offers. You can use hashtags to reach a wider audience and engage in relevant conversations.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is a visual platform popular with users planning trips or looking for travel inspiration. You can use Pinterest to share photos and videos of your hotel or resort and pin content from your blog or website.
What about TikTok? TikTok is a social media platform known for its short-form, music-based videos. It has gained a large and growing following, particularly among younger users, and has the potential to be a powerful marketing tool for hotels and resorts.
That said, it’s essential to consider whether TikTok is the right platform for your business. Here are a few things to consider:
- Is your target audience on TikTok? TikTok may be an excellent platform to consider if your target audience is predominantly younger users. You may want to focus on other platforms if your target audience is older.
- Does your content fit with the platform? TikTok is known for its creative and often humorous content, so it’s important to consider whether your content will work with the platform’s style and tone.
- Do you have the resources to create content for TikTok? Creating content for TikTok requires a different skill set and approach than other platforms, so it’s important to consider whether you have the resources to create high-quality content that will stand out on the platform.
If you decide that TikTok is a good fit for your business, there are a few ways you can use the platform for marketing your hotel or resort:
- Share short, visually appealing videos that showcase your property and the local area.
- Use relevant hashtags to make it easier for users to discover your content.
- Collaborate with TikTok influencers or users who have a large following in the travel or hospitality industry.
- Use TikTok’s music and sound features to create creative and engaging content that stands out.
Overall, it’s important to carefully consider whether TikTok is the right platform for your business and to approach it with a clear strategy and a focus on creating high-quality content that resonates with your target audience.
Ultimately, the best platform for promoting your content will depend on your specific goals and audience. It may be helpful to experiment with different platforms to see which ones work best for your hotel or resort.
4 Engage with your audience
Encourage your audience to interact with your content by asking questions, seeking feedback, and responding to comments and reviews.
- Respond to comments and messages promptly: Make sure to monitor your social media accounts regularly and promptly respond to comments and messages from guests. This can help build trust and improve the customer experience.
- Encourage reviews and feedback: Invite guests to leave reviews or feedback on your social media accounts or review websites like TripAdvisor. This can help you understand what your guests are looking for and help potential guests make informed decisions.
- Share user-generated content: Share photos and guest reviews on your social media accounts. This can help create a sense of community and can also help showcase the positive experiences that guests have had at your hotel or resort.
- Use hashtags: Use relevant hashtags to make it easier for potential guests to discover your content and join in on relevant conversations.
- Host contests or giveaways: Host contests or giveaways on social media to encourage engagement and attract new followers. For example, you could ask guests to share their favorite photos from their stay and offer a prize to the winner.
- Use social media to provide customer service: Use social media to resolve any issues or concerns guests may have. This can help improve the customer experience and show that you are dedicated to meeting the needs of your guests.
5 Collaborate with influencers and other industry professionals
Partnering with influencers or other industry professionals can help you reach a new audience and add credibility to your content. There are a few ways you can find influencers for your hotel or resort:
- Search social media platforms: Use social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube to search for travel or hospitality industry influencers. Look for influencers with a large and engaged following and who produce high-quality content that aligns with your brand.
- Use influencer marketing platforms: Several platforms connect brands with influencers, such as AspireIQ, Influence.co, and Upfluence. These platforms allow you to search for influencers based on specific criteria, such as location, audience size, and content type.
- Attend industry events and conferences: These can be a great way to meet influencers and establish relationships with them. This can also be an excellent opportunity to learn more about the latest trends and best practices in influencer marketing.
- Consider partnering with local influencers: In addition to working with influencers with a national or international following, consider partnering with local influencers with a strong presence in your area. These influencers may have a more targeted audience and may be able to provide more authentic and relevant content for your hotel or resort.
- Reach out to influencers directly: If you have identified specific influencers you would like to work with, don’t be afraid to reach out to them directly. Send them an email or message introducing yourself and explaining how you envision working together. Be sure to include information about your hotel or resort and any specific goals or objectives you have in mind.
6 Track and analyze your results
Use tools like Google Analytics to track the performance of your content marketing efforts and make adjustments based on what works and what doesn’t.
Here are a few top tips for analyzing and reporting on the performance of your content marketing efforts:
- Set clear goals and objectives: Before you start creating content, you must clearly understand what you want to achieve. Set specific goals, such as increasing website traffic, boosting bookings, or improving customer engagement, and use these goals to guide your content marketing strategy.
- Use analytics tools: Use tools like Google Analytics to track the performance of your content marketing efforts. These tools can help you understand how much traffic your content generates, where your traffic is coming from, and how your audience interacts with your content.
- Monitor your social media metrics: Keep an eye on your social media metrics, such as likes, comments, and shares, to understand how your content is performing on these platforms.
- Track conversions: Use tracking tools, such as UTM parameters or conversion tracking pixels, to understand how your content contributes to conversions, such as bookings or newsletter sign-ups.
- Regularly review and analyze your results: Review your analytics regularly to understand what’s working and what’s not, and make adjustments as needed.
- Create reports: Use the data you have collected to create reports that show the performance of your content marketing efforts. Share these reports with your team and stakeholders to demonstrate the value of your content marketing strategy.
- Use A/B testing: Consider using A/B testing to compare the performance of different content versions and identify what works best for your audience.
Content marketing can be an effective way for hotels and resorts to attract and retain customers and build their brand and reputation.
However, to be successful, it’s essential to create high-quality, engaging content that provides value to your audience and to optimize your content for search engines.
Social media can be a powerful tool for promoting your content and engaging with your audience. Choose the platform best suited for your goals and audience, and use it to share updates, photos, and videos. However, it’s not just about creating videos and posting. You must engage with your audience by responding to comments and messages, encouraging reviews and feedback, sharing user-generated content, and using hashtags.
Influencer marketing continues to be relevant, so consider partnering with influencers or other industry professionals to reach a new audience and add credibility to your content.
And don’t forget to track and analyze your results using tools like Google Analytics and make adjustments based on your results.
Do you have any industry knowledge, experience or news that you’d like to share? Send us your press releases, survey results, news, and articles, and we will publish them here on the IHS website. Just complete the contact form and get in touch.